Institute for Religion, Politics & Society

Learn about the latest research and see upcoming events

Olympic Gold Medallist Mack Horton Has Become The Lightning Rod For Asian Hostilities, Dr Joshua M. Roose

Over the weekend, he won an Olympic Gold, took a swipe at a Chinese swimmer who tested positive for a banned substance. And now Mack Horton is at the centre of a monster social media storm, the root of which is hostilities within and against the largest nation on earth. Joshua M Roose explains.

As I have been sitting and analysing the outpouring of anger and hostility on the official Facebook page of gold medalist Mack Horton, I have had to ask myself: how is it, that in the space of less than 12 hours, a young man aged just 20, who lives just a suburb away and is enrolled in the university I work for, can go from relative obscurity to winning a gold medal at the Rio Olympics and being placed, temporarily, at the centre of geostrategic hostilities and nationalisms in the Asian region?

Like most Australians, I sat cheering for the lanky young man from Melbourne. I don’t follow the lead-up swim meets but I am an enthusiastic follower of Australian Olympic efforts.

Read more…

Back to news